To: ActiveDir@mail.activedir.org
Sent: Friday, April 28, 2006 4:26 PM
Subject: RE: Re: [ActiveDir] ADAM Management Tool REQs and Desires...... WAS: Internet Authentication Concepts: Pointers?

Ok....

So are you thinking winForm Gui? Web? MMC? Console? I know you like command line....but ad I hear there are some great tools already in existence. :)

ADSIedit is great for MOST things, but I would fear giving it to a helpdesk guy, or an application admin who has no idea what LDAP really is. They just want an Identty store.

Soo....

Something that abstracts the user from LDAP (OUs, DNs, etc....scary stuff!) but shows them as a simple TreeView of the directory

Management templates that glean data from the defined Schema and are customizeable. Since ADAM can have a very custom Schema, the tool would need to be flexible to accommodate that. IE select the Dog object, and be able to modify the Neutered boolean attribute.

These templates should be customizable in a simple fashion that does not require extensive development knowledge :)

Build in basic routines for common functions like password reset, etc.

I guess a more customizeable ADUC for ADAM :)

Maybe the name should be "theWelch" since Jerry said "ME!"?