Just a few thoughts to add since so many others already have given you great answers:

-          I’ve heard that any changes to an network which has production status in a clinic, pharma-manufacturer or supplier will endanger FDA-approval

-          I know that many clinical “devices” are specialized workstations which are controlling a devices, such as modern x-rays. They do have network access and may be member of a domain to provide doctors with x-rays a.s.o.

Sounds like your manufacturer is talking about such devices and is concerned that a change in a GPO which is affecting his “appliance” might break it’s functionality, e.g. putting certain signing or encryption policies in place, but the workstation talks to it’s hardware via proprietary SMB …

I just wanted to throw this into discussion – if we are talking about such devices/appliances I’d also prefer a different domain or even forest to manage them, or want to know very closely what the requirements are and keep an extra eye on those machines. Don’t put lives at jeopardy b/c of a misconfigured GPO.

Gruesse - Sincerely,

Ulf B. Simon-Weidner

  Profile & Publications:   http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile="">
  Weblog: http://msmvps.org/UlfBSimonWeidner