> 2) Spy ware hangs around for a long time. Our users used to have admin
> rights so there is a lot of "legacy" spyware around

Create a project to re-build these machines? If you've got a standard
deployment image for workstations, this might not be too disruptive.

> 3) We still have business critical applications that won't run without
> admin rights. Often these are tightly integrated in a large suite of
> applications, e.g. the Call Centre management suit, so we still have
> some machines where users have admin rights. I know this sucks but
> there is certainly no cash available to replace these apps....

Is there a budget to deliver these 'special' apps via Citrix or at least
MS Terminal server, hence isolating them on a locked down server which
users cannot browse the web from, and allowing you to drop their local
workstation access level down to something sane? Or to virtualise these
apps on each desktop, again isolating them and allowing you to drop the
local workstation access rights down a notch or two.

--
Robert Moir
Microsoft MVP for Windows Servers & Security