The only clean way to authenticate external users to SharePoint is
with a solution like ADFS and federated identity.  SharePoint doesn't
use LDAP internally for auth and you can't really make it.

Federation does give you the ability to have your external users use
their own organization's accounts to access your resources (SharePoint
in this case).

ADFS is non-trivial to set up, but it is "the way" that these things
will be done in the future.

Joe K.