I agree, the documentation is misleading. They should say that anonymous searches aren't allowed.

Joe K.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Jef Kazimer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <ActiveDir@mail.activedir.org>
Sent: Thursday, September 28, 2006 9:24 PM
Subject: Re: [ActiveDir] ADAM bind Redirection with a NULL password

Joe,

I forgot to mention on the article (Which I updated):

I forgot to mention, I had thought to myself "Did I somehow enable anonymous binds and forget?", since part of the design was to not-allow anonymous. I did check the config entry as outlined in the ADAM FAQ:

ADAM does not accept anonymous bind requests by default. To enable anonymous LDAP operations in ADAM, you must set the seventh character of the dsHeuristics value to 2.

This indeed was set to NOT allow anonymous binds, which based on the wording I would assume mean that anonymous binds would be rejected. In actuality, an anonymous bind is a SUCCESS, but you can't enumerate the directory structure from that point on. Perhaps the wording should be changed to reflect this?