The process is nothing like that.There's a lot of hyperbole around this whole thing, IMO. It's really not as onerus as many of these speculative articles would have people believe. Seriously, folks, dig a little and you'll find things like this: http://arstechnica.com/journals/microsoft.ars/2006/9/12/5269

...and then maybe Chicken Little can go back to the coop for another year or two. :-)

Laura

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Matt Hargraves
Sent: Tuesday, October 03, 2006 8:30 PM
To: ActiveDir@mail.activedir.org
Subject: Re: [ActiveDir] OT: Volume licensing activation

When you've got 100k workstations in your environment and it takes 2-3 minutes to run through the activation and then however much time to manage the server...

100k*2.5 ends up equalling about 2 year's worth of wages for a single employee (call it $120k total).  I don't mind them trying to protect keys, but it's not the companies with 1k+ workstations, it's the companies with <50 workstations and 'computer geniuses' (don't you dread it when you hear that phrase - you know something's *really* screwed up) who are using invalid or stolen keys.

I know that 120k might be 'beans' to a large company, but reality is that you just increased the deployment cost for a new tool.  If I can run XP for an extra 2 years and use the version after Vista, then I just saved my company $120k...... I just paid my salary for the next year probably.  This is how management personnel think - that's why we call them 'bean counters' because that 120k means something to them.  They know that not using legit versions is not a valid solution, but they also know that saving $120k means something after you do it 10 times (and just saved the company 0.1% off their costs - every little bit counts for accountants).