From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of knighTslayer
Sent: Wednesday, October 04, 2006 11:10 PM
To: ActiveDir@mail.activedir.org
Subject: [ActiveDir] Single forest with two domain trees to splut up.

Hello,

This is my first post, so please forgive me if this question has already
been asked...

I have a mixed AD forest with two domain trees.  Each domain tree is located
at a different geographical site, and sites and services is configured to
reflect this.  DomainA has the namespace of 'logistics.ads' and DomainB has
a namespace of 'finance.dom' The very first domain tree (DomainA) is a
Windows 2000 domain and the second domain tree (DomainB) is a Windows 2003
domain.

Finance.dom has been bought by a third party and I must split the forest in
two and resolve any issues that arises from doing this.  As logistics.ads
was the first domain in the forest, it holds the Schema Master role and
Domain naming master role.

Exchange 2000 is installed at DomainA and Exchange 2003 is installed in
DomainB.  Administrative groups are used to reflect the geographical
topology of my set-up.  Each domain has its own SMTP namespace and SMTP
routing will not be a problem as I can comfortably overcome this.  The GAL
being split and replaced with contacts is acceptable and I have no issues at
this level.

The WAN connection between the domains will be removed and the only means of
communication between the two organisations will be through SMTP routing
through the internet and nothing else.  No other application between the
domains are in use, besides Exchange.

My current plan is to simply cut the link between the sites and seize the
roles that are missing from the newly split domains - so in effect bringing
up two forests.  Issues with Exchange, ghosted servers in AD, and so on will
be removed using ADSI edit and NTDSutil.

My main question is this: is there better technique I should follow for
splitting up a forest or am I on the right track?

Thanks in advance
René