I agree about the origin but I think that the usage/meaning of M$ has
changed the last years. I think that is evolution or something.
Today I see people using it all around, even those that only work on
Microsoft platforms for many years. I also agree on the "relativation"
approach. A lot of people laugh with misery and other things, why not
sometimes smile with little things like that.
OK in the past it was used in a totally different way, but I think
that we have evolved now... Let's move on! Personally I use MS as it
is commonly known and types really fast :-)