From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Brian Cline
Sent: Friday 01 December 2006 11:07
To: Active Directory Mailing List
Subject: [ActiveDir] OT: Possessed PCs

Yesterday we had several people complain that their cursor was moving around on
its own, but not erratically or quickly as one would suspect might be the case
of a mouse issue. I used SMS remote tools to watch one person's screen, and she
noted that the way the cursor moved while I was in there checking things was
exactly the same way it was moving before -- it was just as though someone was
actually in there.

Now I can't begin to describe how odd this is -- but I can't seem to find any
common denominator for the folks who experienced this problem (so far, three or
four). Some have wireless mice with a short range and good batteries with no
problems otherwise, whereas the others have standard, working USB mice. I have
seen this before where the language bar was detecting office and keyboard noise
through the microphone as dictated commands to do thing, but the problem
persisted on the first PC after I disabled it, and I don't think that
particular model has a built-in mic. I checked the event logs and the only
person who used the SMS remote control was me, so I can't imagine that anyone
else would have been remoting it either. So far today I have not heard any more
complaints, but nevertheless I'm still curious yet baffled.

All PCs have updated virus and spyware definitions. Does anyone have ideas on
where to start looking if this problem surfaces again? If it continues we'll
have the corporate chaplain bring in his exorcist buddy.

Brian Cline, Applications Developer
Department of Information Technology
G&P Trucking Company, Inc.
803.936.8595 Direct Line