Thanks for the advice; I really think it's more than two-cents based.

As you suggest, going "other" route means getting a MAPI plugin for
whatever solution, so you add another complexity layer on the setup.
The only reason I might see to do something like that is price
(exchange is not a cheap beast ;)

On the "bringing the thing inhouse" issue, the feeling is that having
an MX in-house means inviting all kind of naties to come knocking
(spammer, DOS-ers, etc) and that means aditional babysitting: we don't
have full-time admin staff, but rather the people in the testing dept.
are the ones who run the servers. All of the technical staff are
familiar with AD (after all, we sell a product that is AD-based), but
messaging is another beast.... Not to talk about the data pipe needed:
We get quite a lot of spam, and 10+ PPT files are not uncommon ;)

At the moment, if the DSL goes down, the problem is we can't get our
mail, but at least we don't lose any... I might be able to sell a
setup with an "entry point" (including spam filtering) that is outside
the office, and then having an in-house server.. but again the fact
that over half our employees are NOT in our offce makes it difficult
to jutify having the server inhouse IMO. Of course, the cost issue has
to be taken into account: maybe an aditional DSL line and a part-time
admin may add up to the cost of external maiboxes...

Thanks a lot for the input, anyhow.

 Javier