http://www.windowsserverfaq.org

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Yann
Sent: Mittwoch, 24. Januar 2007 16:23
To: ActiveDir@mail.activedir.org
Subject: RE : RE: RE: [ActiveDir] Question about DNS SRV registration.

Ulf,

Thanks for clarification.

I will follow your advices. :)

Just an OT ... i found your windows server 2003 book on amazon.com here

http://www.amazon.de/exec/obidos/ASIN/3866456042

Do you have english (or french version) of the book available ?

Cheers,

Yann

"Ulf B. Simon-Weidner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> a écrit :

Hello Yann,

you’re welcome!

No – it is not best practice to disable it. The effect you have is only
happening if a Site has no DC assigned to it, or if a single DC of a Site is
offline for a while. It is important that the Clients are able to look up a
DC, and if you disable Automatic Site Coverage and a Site is without a DC
for some time Clients may experience longer logon times, and they might fall
back on a DC which is in a site which goes over multiple WAN links. I’d say
best practice is to keep the Automatic Site Coverage active, and check once
in a while if there are wrong registrations which you may delete if the DCs
of that Site are back online. They will also dissolve if you enable aging
and scavenging.

Also what some customers are doing is the following: Assuming a “Star-shaped
Network Topology” with a Hub-Site where each Branch connects to, they are
configuring the DCs of the Hub-Site to register their SRV-Records at the
Branch Sites with a lower Priority than default, therefore the Branch-Office
Clients will use the Branch-Office DC as long as it’s available but fall
back to the Hub DCs when the BO-DC is not available.

Gruesse - Sincerely,

Ulf B. Simon-Weidner

  Profile & Publications:
<blocked::http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile=35E388DE-4885-4308-B489-F