This doesn't work.  If I do:

config.columns[:vendor_name].sort_by :sql => '(SELECT vendor_name FROM 
vendors WHERE vendor_id = users.vendor_id)', then it generates this:

SELECT * FROM `users`      ORDER BY (SELECT vendor_name FROM vendors 
WHERE vendor_id = users.vendor_id) ASC LIMIT 0, 10

which gives an error about subquery returning more than one row.

The only way for modifying doing :sql on the sort_by call successfully 
would seem to be in conjuction with a join.

I must be missing something - can you show me how to do this ordering by 
another tables column using only a subquery in the ORDER BY clause?

Many thanks,
Wes


Ed W wrote:
> Wes Gamble wrote:
>   
>> I got this working.  However, it seems like I am forced to use the 
>> :method form of sorting, because the :sql option only allows a valid 
>> ORDER BY clause.
>>
>> If I wanted to use a join and order by my association's attribute, would 
>> I have to override the AS sort method itself?  I'm assuming so.
>>   
>>     
>
> Perhaps you don't realise that in SQL you can sort on a subquery?
>
> Ed W
>
>
> >
>
>   

--~--~---------~--~----~------------~-------~--~----~
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"ActiveScaffold : Ruby on Rails plugin" group.
To post to this group, send email to [email protected]
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to [EMAIL PROTECTED]
For more options, visit this group at 
http://groups.google.com/group/activescaffold?hl=en
-~----------~----~----~----~------~----~------~--~---

  • So... Wes Gamble
    • ... Ed W
      • ... Wes Gamble
        • ... Ed W
          • ... Wes Gamble
            • ... Ed W
              • ... Wes Gamble
              • ... Wes Gamble
        • ... Sergio Cambra .:: entreCables - Symbol Servicios Informáticos S.L. ::.

Reply via email to