AT the University of Utah we have a directly relevant provision in our
policy-on-policy making, which allows for an "Interim Rule" to be put in effect
by order of the University President without the normally required processing
through our Academic Senate,  when there are urgent circumstances---  but then
the normal processes of consultation are to be subsequently followed after the
urgent situation has been dealt with.

http://regulations.utah.edu/general/1-001.php    Part III-4-d.  " In
extraordinary circumstances calling for urgent action, the President may
determine that a Rule shall be put into effect ....  without the prior approval
by or consultation with the Senate that would otherwise be required..... Any
Rule put into effect in such manner shall subsequently be presented to the
[Senate] at the next available opportunity,"

It is a very handy 'tool' in our toolbox of making and revising regulations.
Since we developed this "interim" process in 2008, we have used it sparingly,
typically about once per year. The requirement that any regulation implemented
in this 'urgent' fashion be subsequently reviewed by our Academic Senate acts
as a fairly effective limit on the temptation of some administrative officers
to overuse the process by treating as urgent those situations which don't
really qualify as urgent.  Someone will have to appear before the Senate
representative and explain why the circumstances justified treating the
situation as "urgent" so that the normally required consultation could not be
carried out.

And that requirement of bringing it through the normal processes "at the next
available opportunity" also results in getting good quality contents for the
permanent version.  An interim rule put in place in rushed circumstances
typically is crudely drafted, and when we subsequently review it and move it to
permanent status we typically re-draft it with significantly greater quality,
based on what we've learned in the meanwhile, and with the luxury of more time
to get it done right once the 'emergency' has passed.

## Robert Flores, Professor of Law, SJ Quinney College of Law; Special
Assistant for Faculty Policy-- Associate V.P. Academic Affairs, University of
Utah.     Direct 801-581-5881
robert.flo...@law.utah.edu<mailto:robert.flo...@law.utah.edu>  ##