Regarding what constitutes "academic policy" ---  here at the University of
Utah we have what may be a unique approach.  Distinguishing between the
academic and the non-academic is important because our Academic Senate (elected
representatives of the faculty and students) has a formal role of voting for
approval of changes in academic policies, and for non-academic policy changes
the Senate is informed of and given the opportunity to make
"recommendations"-but dies not formally vote on approval/ disapproval.   The
judgment as to which policies are academic, for purposes of that difference in
voting process, is made by the current members of the Senate's Executive
Committee (faculty and students who are in turn elected by the Senate
membership).  The Committee's task is decide whether a particular policy change
 "directly or significantly affects the University's academic missions."

[http://regulations.utah.edu]

Policy 1-001: Policy on University Regulations
[http://regulations.utah.edu/general/1-001.php]
....  The University adheres to the principle that the perspectives of the
faculty and students of the University should be appropriately considered in
conjunction with promulgation of all University Regulations that directly or
significantly affect the carrying out of the University's academic missions of
teaching, research, and service. To that end, the Academic Senate, as the body
representative of the faculty and students, shall have the following roles with
regard to approval, revision, or retirement of University Regulations and
Supplemental Rules and Procedures.
All University Policies that directly or significantly affect the carrying out
of the University's academic missions shall be presented for the approval of
the Academic Senate, and as approved shall then be forwarded for the
consideration of the Board of Trustees.
All University Policies that do not directly or significantly affect the
carrying out of the University's academic missions shall be presented for the
information of the Academic Senate, and members of the Senate may make
recommendations to the President or Board of Trustees with regard to any such
Policy.
.....     The determination of whether a University Policy ... is to be
presented to the Senate for its approval, or its information and possible
recommendations shall be made by the Executive Committee of the Senate, based
on the extent to which the change directly or significantly affects the
University's academic missions. All Policies stated within Parts 6 and 7
(Academics and Research, respectively) of University Policies, and all
University Rules that are directly related to any such Policy, shall be
presumed to have such direct and significant effects. Policies stated in other
parts of the University Policies, and University Rules related to such
Policies, shall be treated as having a direct or significant effect on academic
missions only if so determined by a majority of the Executive Committee.

Bob Flores

## Prof. Robert Flores, SJ Quinney College of Law; Special Assistant for
Faculty-- Associate V.P. Academic Affairs; Senate Policy Liaison, University of
Utah. Direct 801-581-5881
robert.flo...@law.utah.edu<mailto:robert.flo...@law.utah.edu>  ##