This is a balancing act mostly covered by our policy for general
computing: http//www.oakland.edu/890

Our policy is that individual email content is essentially personal
recognizing public formal requests:

   1. *Privacy* - Technological methods must not be used to infringe upon
   privacy. However, Authorized Users must recognize that Resources are public
   and subject to the Freedom of Information Act, the Communications
   Assistance for Law enforcement Act, other federal, state and local statutes
   and regulations, and exceptions established by the University as permitted
   by law. Authorized Users utilize such Resources at  their own risk.

Our general university IT policy puts responsibility for overall management
for greater good in IT. - www.oakland.edu/policies/830

I think some of your comment hints at process rather than policy. Our
process is that:
1) we will implement spam and malware filters that block delivery of spam
and phishing email if identified
2) spam and malware filters will allow unconfirmed spam and phishing but
will display warnings
3) once spam or phishing are delivered to an email inbox, we do not
intercede and it is up to the individual to recognize and mark. This is to
comply with the above privacy statement.

Theresa