Good morning Arash,

* "Arash Naderpour" <arash_...@parsun.com>

> My question is that is this working group the right place to discuss
> about the 240/3 or it should be done in higher level like between
> RIRs or IANA?

RIPE AP-WG is not the right place to begin this process, the IETF is.

The process would go something like this:

You submit a draft to the IETF to direct IANA to do something with with
240/3, e.g., reclassify it as regular unicast IPv4 address space that
may be distributed to the RIRs. You'll then need to gain consensus for
your draft and have it published as an RFC.

The /3 would then within six months be split up into five equal parts
and be distributed to each RIR over a period of a few years. ~6.4 /8s
per RIR, that is. The initial and biggest IANA->RIR trance would happen
no later than six months after your RFC was published. (If you're not
happy with that you'd need to seek global consensus between the five RIR
communities to change the «Global Policy for Post Exhaustion IPv4
Allocation Mechanisms by the IANA» policy.)

The RIPE NCC would add any address space received from the IANA in this
manner to the so-called «last /8» pool. So assuming you've already
received your final /22 under the current policy but want one or more
additional allocations from 240/3, you'll at this point need to return
to the RIPE AP-WG with a proposal to change the so-called «last /8»
policy into something else that would facilitate that.

Assuming you manage all of the above, all that remains in order to make
240/3 usable on the public Internet is to convince all the operating
system/device/router vendors in the world to develop and release
software/firmware updates to make 240/3 usable, and then of course to
convince every network operator and end-user on the Internet to
download and install these patches. Devices/software no longer being
supported by the manufacturer would probably need to be replaced
outright.

If by some miracle you would be able to pull it all off, keep in mind
that the ~107M addresses gained by the RIPE NCC would all be used up
within two years if we return to the pre-depletion allocation policy
and consumption rate. Ask yourself: «then what?»

Maybe you can now see why folks are telling you that this would be a
colossal waste of time and that your efforts would be much better spent
on IPv6. With IPv6, the process is already underway and most of the
above steps have already been completed, and at the end of that process
we're actually covered for the rest of our lifetimes and beyond.

Tore