I’ll entertain your question here, although the question isn’t in relation to
the policy proposal, but more about how transfers work ..

If a company splits… it is actually very simple … you setup a second LIR .. (
Provided that we are talking about RIPE PA space.. )  …

And you transfer the space out that needs to go to the business that is split
off, to the new LIR …
The new entity / LIR would also receive a free /22 IPv4 and have the right to a
/29 IPv6 and request an AS number, if they like, in the process …

And also get 2 free access tickets to the next RIPE meeting … and may send
employees to a new LIR training.

In case you are talking about RIPE PI space .. it is even easier ..
You decide who the sponsoring LIR is going to be for the new entity.. ( the
split off business.. ) Sign an End-User Agreement with the Sponsoring LIR of
choice ..
Initiate a transfer to split the original prefix into multiple smaller
prefixes.. and divide them between the 2 companies..

Send a signed Transfer agreement document and a copy of the End-User Agreement
to the RIPE NCC or upload it through the portal …
The new entity doesn’t have any additional rights to an extra /22 or other
stuff or free tickets or trainings.

Similar as with Legacy space .. only a Confirmation of Transfer to the RIPE NCC
Service Region ( no RIPE NCC or Sponsoring LIR contract required even .. )

I’m not saying that there might be corner cases out there that one might bump
into however I think that with all the different versions that we worked on, we
addressed the ones that are common in normal business practices.

The policy proposal doesn’t limit companies from doing M&A’s …  and if you
would read point 2.2, it clearly points that out in the text..

The text states :

> Scarce resources, which are understood as those resources that are allocated
> or assigned by the RIPE NCC on a restricted basis (such as IPv4 or 16-bit
> ASNs),
> cannot be transferred for 24 months from the date the resource was received
> by the resource holder.
> This restriction also applies if the resource was received due to a change in
> the organisation’s business (such as a merger or acquisition).

> This restriction does not prevent the resources from being transferred due to
> further mergers or acquisitions within the 24-month period.

So it doesn't prevent future M&A's .. as that is not possible to restrict and
not the intention ...
The intention is to avoid speculation by hoarding and combining LIR's and
transferring IP space out.

Regards,
Erik Bais

---