I forgot to mention, using CMake which lets us set the build type to Debug,
Release, RelWithDebInfo, MinSizeRel and use either Debug or RelWithDebInfo
as the build type (taking the default optimizations).

I did verbose output and noted the following:

   - RelWithDebInfo = -g -fsanitize=address
   -fno-omit-frame-pointer -O2 -DNDEBUG
   - Debug = -g -fsanitize=address -fno-omit-frame-pointer

also doing several alignment checks in both.

Speed (build and check time) has not been a concern with either build type
(unless we add in fast_unwind_on_malloc=0 and/or malloc_context_size=60
temporarily) and we are not shipping the results of this build to anyone
but rather it is a quality type build.

I agree that the asserts have value and why I wanted the debug build but
trying to convince others if it makes sense or not.