I never commented on this email I just realized. See below.

Catalin Kormos wrote:

Hi Adam,

Sorry if this was confusing, i certainly wouldn't want to write a pretty new
framework for skinning, and this to be used only by Tomahawk. As Martin
mentioned we did compare existing approaches besides Trinidad's, like the
one from Tobago and I also took a look at Exadel Visual Component Platform's skinning. As far as i know these are all the current approaches for JSF and Trinidad's is the one choosed to be based on, all the features it offers are
realy nice and there is room for more, like what Jeanne would like to
implement, right?

The goal is to work on making the Trinidad's skinning framework become the skinning framework for MyFaces. There are things to be changed though. Like going all the way with CSS, and not use XSS for the base skins, allow skins to extend each other and not just a base skin, and allow @import rules to be
used.

Our goal is to get rid of XSS for base skins as well, if possible. We first need to add
all the features that are in XSS to CSS before we can do that.
In Trinidad, skins can extend other skins. In JDeveloper 10.1.3, you couldn't do this, but in Trinidad, you can. You the <extends> element in the adf-faces-skins.xml file. Yes, I'd like @import rules to be used, too. That's something that we'd need before we get rid of XSS, since XSS allows this. It would be nice to know if we can pass through the @import into the generated css file or if it is another skinning file and we need to process it.

The most important changes i was planning to do are related to parsing and
merging the CSS files. Right now, Trinidad uses CSS3 syntax for component
selectors, and has it's own way of parsing that syntax. What i want to do is
use a standard CSS2 compliant parser (an implementation of SAC,
http://www.w3.org/Style/CSS/SAC/), with minimal extensions, for example to
recognize @agent rules, and have an internal model based on DOM Level 2
Style specifications (
http://www.w3.org/TR/2000/REC-DOM-Level-2-Style-20001113/). This could
determine also changing the naming of the component selectors to use CSS2
valid syntax from the beginning but would eliminate the transformation of
CSS3 syntax into CSS2 syntax that currently occurs.

I would certainly appreciate your feedback on these plans, and help to find
to the best approach for bringing Trinidad skinning framework into the
overall MyFaces world.

Regards,
Catalin