I am currently working for a company that had been using Oracle ADF for a while and we are currently planning to move to portlets. Since oracle ADF does not support portlets out of the box, we decided to look more closely into Trinidad which works with Portlets.
One of our requirement is to use Java 1.4.

After looking at this page (http://wiki.apache.org/myfaces/ADF_Faces/ToDo) I tried to see how much it was to run Trinidad on Java 1.4. It was easy and we've made it work. We are currently thinking to go for this solution and contribute to your project if you want.