Charlie,
As Jeff has explained you can copy your material to DVDs as AVI files using
the same compression as the originals and this would presumably be the best
quality using DVDs. However the life of home burnt DVDs is unknown and so
the life of your 'archives' is a little uncertain. You didn't say what
lifetime you are looking for so it is difficult to speculate about whether
this would be a satisfactory solution for you.
The obvious (to me!) answer to your problem is to archive your material by
simply keeping the original tapes or a dv-dv copy of them - perhaps with any
long sections of rubbish left out. Keeping the originals means you don't
have to spend any time capturing and re-recording and frankly you will find
it difficult to get better quality than the originals (you asked for 'the
best quality'). In addition DV tapes are so cheap (in my country - though I
don't know about yours) that using them for archive purposes is probably the
cheapest as well as the easiest and smallest option.
I note that Sune advises against keeping original tapes. I'd be interested
to know what adverse experience has produced that suggestion. I'd be
interested to hear of the experiences of anyone who has had problems playing
DV tapes recorded in the early days of DV where the problem is not simply
related to hardware misalignment.
This problem of archiving material is one which interests a lot of us, not
least my local Film & Video Club which has archive material dating back to
1935. Much of this 16mm and 8mm material has been telecined onto DV and we
would like to learn of any better way to store the material than on the
original DV tapes.
We are keen to keep a long lasting copy of our latest major production
'Clarkson' (see www.bristolvideo.org.uk/current.htm to see a trailer). Does
anyone know of guaranteed long life (home-burnt) DVDs? We would be looking
for a 250 year life.
Julian
Bristol, England
*********************************
Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2006 03:35:39 -0000
From: "Charlie" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Archive raw footage
I did a search of the archive but could not find what I was looking
for. I know many use large external hard drives. But I would like to
archive the raw footage to possibly DVD. Then stick it in a nice
fireproof safe.
Now for the loaded question, what format does everyone think is the
best format for quality? Most of my footage comes from MiniDV tapes so
any raw footage will fit, but I would like to make sure I use teh
format that retains the best quality.
FYI I just obtain the Adobe Production Studio Premium. I will be
reloading many of my MiniDV tapes as they were originally downloaded
with Windows Movie editor so they are in WMV format.
Sorry if this question is too basic or may be in the archives and was
unable to find.
Yahoo! Groups Links
<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Adobe-Premiere/
<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/