> > From what I can tell, most of the really good teams are using Android
> Studio + Gradle or IntelliJ + Maven already.

I think that is a bit early to say. I would say we are a "good" team, but
we haven't successfully been able to migrate over due to our builds simply
not working in gradle. In fact, I would guess that there are many
developers who have tried to switch to gradle but failed due to some issue.
For example, our team's app collection is what I would consider a "large"
project (+1,000,000 lines of code), and we have tried switching to gradle
on 3 ocassions. We are actually in the middle of a conversion attempt right
now but we may not be able to complete the conversion because gradle won't
build a few of our projects unless we run assemble on it twice. Why this
happens, I have no idea.

I am confident the bugs will all be solved with the new build system, but
it still isn't ready for prime time. I think the Google developers are just
being responsible and waiting for gradle to be ready before wasting peoples
time if things don't work. Trust me when I say, I am eager to move away
from the bear that is Eclipse. We deal with crashes on an almost daily
basis.