Ok, here's the plot.  I have a CDROM, whos autorun.inf loads an
html file with my applet in it.  Now, when a user clicks a button in the applet,
it runs a movie (avi) file off the CD.
     Well, any chimp with a keyboard could write that program, but here's
where it gets ugly.
     The AVI file is very large, and needs to go much faster than most
 CDROMs can handle.  I am not allowed to convert the stupid thing to MPEG
or otherwise tweak it, because other software depends on it also.
     I am fishing for suggestions on how I could somehow buffer, or speed up
access to the AVI file. (Keep in mind this all needs to be done from an applet.)
     Some thoughts I've had:
     1) Instead of calling Runtime.getRuntime.exec("mplayer  /play movie.avi")
use sun's API
     to play it.  I don't want to do this because I would really like to avoid
installing
     junk on the user's computer.  Plus, I don't think it would solve the
problem anyway.
     2) Copy the file to the hard drive and play it from there.  I don't wnat to
do that because
     its an applet, and I'd rather not mess with signing and all the other
headaches(seems
     like overkill), not to mention I don't really want to put my garbage on the
user's computer
     anyway, and the copy is going to be a long, boring thing to make them
watch.
     3) Somehow buffer the file to memory (even if most of it winds up in swap,
it'll be fast
     enough) and play it from there.  I have thought of loading it in as a
buffered file, and then
     streaming it out to the browser via the old CGI method.  I really don't
understand the
     particulars, or even the feasability of doing this though.

Any input is welcome!
-KC