If changing J2SE versions is possible, look into 1.4 beta. supposedly the
JFileChooser has been modified to correctly mirror a Windows chooser
(including having the desktop as the top most directory).

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Tuesday, July 31, 2001 1:10 PM
To: Greg Munt; Pradeep Chinnaswamiah; [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: JFileChooser Open Dialog

        Greg, this applies only in case of a default Windows installation.

        It could be C:\MYDIR\DESKTOP or C:\WINDOWS\PROFILES\XYZ\DESKTOP
depending on installation and number of users.

        As far as I know there's no reliable way of determining this in
Java, unless we tap into Win32 API. If any of you have resolved this without
using Win32 API, pls. do let me know.

Prakash