Quoting Stas Bekman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> Most of the things in the docs, at least mod_perl 1.0 guide are FAQ. It
> was originally written based on frequently asked questions on the list.

yes, i understand that now. in a nutshell i see a FAQ as a short full stop page
where one can quickly view commonly asked questions. let's take perl itself as
an example. sometimes i forget how to do a directly search & replace in a file
(in old perls you had to create tmp files and unlink them afterwards). this is
not something i do very often so i tend to forget the syntax. but i also know
that this would be a pretty common thing for people to do hence i look first in
the perl FAQ.

the infamous "Sometimes it Works, Sometimes it Doesn't" problem. i personally
consider it a FAQ. if you were a mod_perl beginner but knew about this problem
already (but couldn't remember how to solve it) how would you go about ?

i see three approaches

1) look on perl.apache.org (how to find this answer is not that easy or is it ?
what would you search for - how would you hyperlinnk-navigate ?)
2) ask the question on the mailing list
3) search elsewhere like google.com. horror!

> Allan, may I suggest that may be you don't realize how much information
> there is in our docs and how hard it's going to be to decide what should
> be in the FAQ and what not?

i certainly know there's a lot of information. i even think you know i know :)

would you go along if i (if i can fine the time) took the task of simply
compiling a small list a bit like the one i sent as an example in an earlier
mail, the faq answers would then point to  the real doc ?

> If you really want to help with docs, the best thing you can do now is
> start porting mod_perl 1 docs to mod_perl 2 docs, since that's the biggest
> hole now. mod_perl 1 is going to phase out, and 99.9% of the questions in
> the next year are going to be about mp2. We can't write a FAQ for that
> since things are still not there. But filling the gaps in the normal docs
> is what's the most important thing at the moment, if you ask me.

i don't think a FAQ should be mod_perl2 og mod_perl1 specific. but i agree that
getting the actual documentation right is much more important than a FAQ. but
unfortuantely , im not in a position to help on that

./allan