Not my argument....how I interpreted ubnt's argument.

Sent from my smartphone

----- Reply message -----
From: "Adam Moffett" <dmmoff...@gmail.com>
To: <af@af.afmug.com>
Subject: [AFMUG] Ubiquiti Sues Cambium
Date: Fri, Aug 10, 2018 3:30 PM

Ubiquiti contends that some of their software is still running after
you install Elevate. They never refer to Elevate by name; throughout
the document they call it "Hacked Firmware" capitalized like a
proper noun.

AirOS is OpenWRT (ie Linux).  The hardware is a general purpose
computer in a rainproof housing running a general purpose operating
system with a pretty configuration web page.  I would characterize
ePMP the same way.  I'm oversimplifying, but that's basically
what these products are.

I'm sure they will present their case a different way than I am, but
if I've bought the hardware and now I own it, I am definitely
allowed to put my own software on it, or even put someone else's
software on it.  I don't believe for a minute that I could be
constrained by an EULA in this.  I'm sure we'll find out who's right
in court, but if Jay's argument is right, that would be like selling
me a hammer and making me click an agreement that I can only hit
your proprietary nails with it.  Or selling me a car and telling me
I can only put your brand of gasoline in it.

-Adam

On 8/10/2018 4:13 PM, ch...@wbmfg.com
wrote:

OK, but if you violate a software agreement, you should
just simply stop using the code, right?

Does Cambium root the radio or is there still UBNT code
running?  I have not followed this product at all.