I used to do a lot of weird stuff to get sites to work with -48V DC with +48V
equipment involving isolated grounding.   It all works as long as you know what
you are doing and you are the only one who works on it.  It just doesn’t scale
well.    Far cheaper in the long run to put in an isolated DC/DC convertor,
mark the -48V buss, the +48V buss, and the +24V buss and hook up equipment to
that its ground reference is what it expects it to be.  The techs at the sites
don’t have to know as much and are much less likely to blow something up wiring
it backward or accidentally ground the +48 to the -48 through the internal
wiring or some piece of equipment.

Mark