No but my dad did once on a bulldozer.  Didn't help.

-----Original Message----- From: Robert Andrews
Sent: Monday, December 31, 2018 11:43 AM
To: af@af.afmug.com
Subject: Re: [AFMUG] OT tool chests

Curious if you ever pulled the "build a fire under it" trick to get it
started in the super cold?

On 12/31/2018 10:22 AM, Chuck McCown wrote:
If I have a large diesel out in the back lot on a day when the temps are hitting 0 degrees, I need all the cranking I can get. Alternators frequently go up to 16 volts. I will have some cable voltage drop. And you do want to spin the motor faster than normal when cold cranking a cranky diesel. Especially if you have run some thing out of fuel on a job site. I have had to crank a backhoe a half hour to get it to go, and that is after cracking open all the injector lines. I remember back on the farm, our old 6 volt John Deere wheel tractor got much more well behaved when we put an 8 volt battery in it and adjusted the generator to charge at 9 volts.
Say you want to deliver 300 amps to a bulldozer
0 gauge wire has 10 milli ohm for 100 loop feet.
Times 300 amps leaves us with 3 volt drop.
So my 18 volt battery pack is now 15 volts. Should spin the engine nicely. I will probably do 16 volts. Like to know how much voltage those booster starters put out. The only way they can give you more amps is to give you more volts. I’ll bet they hit 16 if not 18 volts when in the boost position.