We give a consumer grade router (current Cambium R190W) to every customer.
We consider them write off consumables like Mounts and cable ends. they
cheap enough to not cost alot, and guarantee us a standard level of
connectivity. We chuck damaged.defective ones that come back. But if it
comes back from a customer getting their own and returning ours or a
deinstall, if its not dirty we default and redeploy. We see alot of them
from deinstalls when a customer moves, theres been an odd amount of churn
here over the last year or so, mostly young people moving to the country
and realizing theres no services just there like gas, water, sewer, trash
hauling, etc so they move back to town after the first winter of getting
the snow plow bill for their quarter mile lane.

We are strict on the routers, we have a specified DMZ IP, we dont do any
port forwards, they have to set their device to that IP on their own. We
set the ESSID/Key based on a standard and we dont change it. We dont give
them access to the device at all. little to no support required. This gives
us a good tool for troubleshooting without rooling a truck too, we have
them come pick up a replacement router if an issue is down to wondering if
its a router issue or not. if it turns out that was it, we toss the router
(occasionally billing them for the replacement) if it doesnt rule it out,
we default and redeploy it. buying a case of cheap routers at a time gets a
decent enough price to justify the consumable expense.