Co-Founder - Business Development & Operations
phone: +1 (702) 470-2766
direct:+1 (702) 470-2770

Ken Hohhof wrote on 8/20/19 16:39:
Good point about the NVR.  Having one camera stream directly to the cloud may sound like
a good idea, but what happens when you start adding cameras, inside and outside  the
house.  An NVR gives you local storage and viewing for all the cameras, but still allows
notifications and remote viewing.  I guess the privacy aspect of having all your security
cam video "up in the cloud" somewhere won't bother people if they're already OK
with Alexa and Facebook and Google snooping on them.

It used to be people would buy an NVR system with 4-8 analog cameras and an
Internet connection on the NVR, now I see the kits are coming with digital
cameras, some are WiFi, some are POE.  But getting people to run Cat5 cable is
sooooooooo difficult these days, unless they have the electricians wire the
house for data while it's being built.

-----Original Message-----
From: AF <af-boun...@af.afmug.com> On Behalf Of Andrew Haninger
Sent: Tuesday, August 20, 2019 4:32 PM
To: AnimalFarm Microwave Users Group <af@af.afmug.com>
Subject: Re: [AFMUG] home security cams (Nest, Ring, etc.)

Here's a good thread that recently came up on /.
https://ask.slashdot.org/story/19/08/02/2129207/ask-slashdot-budget-friendly-webcam-without-a-cloud-service

On Tue, Aug 20, 2019 at 5:28 PM Ken Hohhof <af...@kwisp.com> wrote:
Security cameras seem to be all the rage.  Many WiFi issues, but also I’m tired
of seeing them stream up to the cloud and then back down to the customer’s
phone when he’s sitting in his living room.  I understand when they are away,
they want to be alerted and shown a video of the UPS guy’s butt walking away
from the house.  But it seems very wasteful of bandwidth when the customer is
at home, for the data to go house-Internet-cloud-Internet-house.  Or might go
over cellular to the phone.

Aside from the wasted bandwidth, there is a lot more to go wrong than if
everything stayed on their LAN.  Less complaining about missed alerts, delay,
black screens, etc.

Does anybody know of a system sold in big box stores that can easily be set up
to keep the video local, but still go over the Internet when the customer is
away from home?  Or has everything become so cloud and Internet centric that
you can’t watch a camera 20 feet away without going to the cloud and back?