Im poor, so I have to do above ground. I put the first one up about 6 or 7
years ago. I will tell you  http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html is
your friend. Saltwater is substantially less maintenance, and less problems
with womens hair, sand filter is a must. Every couple years I have to dig a
wider base and put up a bigger pool, 18 foot handles all the kids. I hate
the pool, I dont swim in pools, Theyre a pain in the ass. But its the best
investment Ive ever made. 50 percent of summer pictures are of pool time,
friends and family are always over whether I want them to or not. I figure
the next house will have to have a lot sufficient to dig out an in ground,
heated pool. Every year I take ours down and bitch and moan that I wont be
putting one back up, and every april I start prepping the limestone base.

going saltwater cuts your maintenance costs by about 75 percent. Youre an
uber geek so youll really love the science behind it, and I assume youll
end up engineering your own copper anodes and platinum plates. I see you
actually enjoying the maintenance of a pool.

If you like having kids around, which I do, its one of the best wastes of
time and money there are