Maybe it's because the low hanging fruit has been taken and the rest doesn't work?

I just finished a proposal for fiber to the home for two rural communities here in Pennsylvania.

I knew it would cost money and grants would be needed, but what I didn't realize until after I finished the presentation for the County Commissioners was that the system would operate a a nearly $2,500/month ongoing deficit once installed - and that was assuming a 100% take rate of about 300 end-users.