I'd recommend using SCA  cassettes and SCA-SCU OD patch cables. (or SCU
cassettes and SCU-SCU cables)  I've got a source in SC that builds the
patch cables out of 4.8MM OD cable - You can also source them from Corning
etc.  Much easier to get an outdoor simplex patch cable in SC rather than
LC.  We've standardized on SCA for our plant because we do a lot of
GPON and that is the defacto standard.

If you are new to MPO/MPT, pay attention to male/female pins and to
polarity.  They will try to get you to do A on one end and B on the other
because they don't understand that you want it for BiDi and want straight
through.  Use A on both ends for straight through.

On Fri, Apr 3, 2020 at 9:28 AM Josh Baird <joshba...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Got it.  Yeah, I meant to link to a SM cassette (not MM).
>
> Thanks, Mark & Jared.
>
> On Fri, Apr 3, 2020 at 9:20 AM Mark Radabaugh <m...@amplex.net> wrote:
>
>> In addition to Jared’s comment (don’t mix SM and MM fiber), make sure you
>> have the correct connectors at each end.   Also make sure when ordering
>> BiDi optics that you pair them correctly.   Tx on one end needs to match Rx
>> on the other.   You will need two different part numbers for the SFP’s.
>>
>> Mark
>>
>> On Apr 3, 2020, at 9:11 AM, fiber...@mail.com wrote:
>>
>> I was going to write it'll work just fine, Layer 1 don't care, but you
>> linked to a *multimode* MTP casette. This will either fail outright or have
>> spectacular losses. Swap the MTP casette for a single mode one and you'll
>> be fine.
>>
>> Jared
>>

>> *Sent:* Friday, April 03, 2020
>> *From:* "Josh Baird" <joshba...@gmail.com>
>> *To:* "AnimalFarm Microwave Users Group" <af@af.afmug.com>
>> *Subject:* Re: [AFMUG] Fiber Up Tower
>> Someone who knows more about fiber, please help me out here..
>>
>> Considering buying the 12count SM armored fiber [1] with the duplex
>> cassettes [2].  To maximize the usage of the 12ct, I would like to use BiDi
>> SFP's so that I can use a single strand of fiber per radio.  If I use the
>> correct BiDi SFP's, will I have any issues using the duplex cassettes that
>> are linked here?  I have always just used duplex fiber+SFPs and have no
>> experience with BiDi.
>>
>> [1] https://www.fs.com/products/70220.html
>> [2] https://www.fs.com/products/57017.html
>>
>> On Mon, Mar 30, 2020 at 11:23 PM Kurt Fankhauser <
>> lists.wavel...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I have been researching this heavily over the past few days and this is
>>> what I am "thinking" about doing for fiber and power up tower.
>>>
>>> 1. Run a MPT/MPO fiber trunk cable up tower (12 fibers)
>>> https://www.fs.com/products/68017.html  (indoor version but
>>> available immediately in USA shipping)(could use this temporarily)
>>> https://www.fs.com/products/70220.html  (custom length rugged outdoor
>>> version but takes 30 days to get here from Asia)
>>>
>>> 2. Run each end of the MPT Trunk into a "MPT-12 to 6x LC Duplex
>>> Cassette" (tower top this will be in an enclosure)
>>> https://www.fs.com/products/57017.html
>>>
>>> 3. Run custom length FTTA LC connector Patch cables from the Tower Top
>>> enclosure to each radio SFP
>>> https://www.fs.com/c/ftta-patch-cables-3856
>>>
>>> 4. For Power run individual power wires or a combination of
>>> multi-conductor wire "cord style." The cord below is 12 guage but has 4
>>> conductors. If wired properly you could individually power 3 radios and use
>>> a common ground wire and still be able to power cycle the 3 radios from the
>>> ground. If I need 6 radios I will run a second cord. My towers are only
>>> 150' tall so I think 12 guage should be more than big enough for me even
>>> with Medusa AP's.
>>>
>>> https://www.ebay.com/itm/250-ft-12-4-SJOOW-SJO-SJ-SJ00W-Black-Rubber-Cord-Outdoor-Flexible-Wire-Cable/143388108175?hash=item216298e58f:g:KSQAAOSwA0JclR2G
>>>

>>> I would run the power cords and fiber trunks into a common tower top
>>> enclosure and wire out from there. I really like this Trunk cable idea with
>>> the fiber because If done right there will be absolutely no splicing of
>>> fiber at all. If the Trunk cable goes bad just run a new one up and plug it
>>> into the Cassettes and everything should keep working. You could
>>> standardize on a couple different lengths of the MPT fiber trunk 150' or
>>> 250' and just stock those and coil up excess cable outside or something.
>>>
>>> I was un-aware that Medusa AP's needed 8 gauge wire at 300' but i guess
>>> it could make sense.

Carl Peterson

*PORT NETWORKS*

401 E Pratt St, Ste 2553