I've seen a number of grant funding proposals based on 25M and 100M speeds.

In general what they do is lie.  Or they're wrong.

First you use the capacity planning tool provided the manufacturer and remember that you can populate the values however you want to.  Your prediction doesn't have to be perfectly correct, it just has to be defensible if you're questioned about it.

Also use an 8:1 oversubscription ratio and in your narrative claim that this is "conservative".  It /was /a conservative value in the pre-Netflix world so this is another one where they might truly believe it, or they could be lying.

You can also play games with coverage maps.  What's the minimum MCS to get a subscriber at 25meg?  Use that signal level to predict coverage.  Most of us will realize that at that signal you can only have ONE person at 25meg, but using that figure makes it a hell of a lot easier to show coverage in the entire funding area.

Whether this is actually a lie, or whether they truly believe this stuff is not always obvious to me.  Some of them I'm certain think it's true, and I think it's a case where their engineering was informed by the equipment sales channel.  Others I think are just full of crap, but they know what they can get away with.

I'm not advocating any of these "design choices", but I'm telling you these are things people often do to make their grant funding applications look defensibly acceptable.  In some cases I do believe the applicant is simply wrong.  They're an administrator or a business person and they're just asking the wrong questions. Some of them could be liars, but you'll note that each of these lies leaves the person with the ability to point their finger at someone else and say "well that guy told me this equipment could do that."

In the case of NY State, they had an independent engineering firm review the proposals for their technical plausibility and apparently those guys would look at these applications and not see any problem.  I didn't quite figure out why that was.....but I have some guesses.

My info comes from participating in application processes and talking to other applicants about what they're doing.

-Adam