3/8 kernmantle.  We do have some throw bags of lighter “accessory cord”, I
think 7 mm.

I’m not familiar with that brand.  When I started out buying rope I bought some
“dual braid” and it was bad stuff.  I forget the brand, maybe Samson.  But it
got all kinky.  If Mark vouches for that particular rope, it’s good.

Personally I like Sterling SuperStatic.  One decision is whether you like nylon
or polyester rope.  Some people will only use polyester (e.g. Sterling HTP) for
static rope applications because it has lower elongation.  Personally I find it
too stiff and too abrasive and prefer nylon.

If you look at the working load limit (WLL) which is typically 1/10 of the
breaking strength, a 3/8 inch or 10 mm rope is fine unless you are hanging 12
foot dishes or something.  I think the main reason to have a 1/2 inch rope is
for rescue where it needs to hold the weight of two people.  Or maybe for
rappelling down a tower with a descender, which I think is also supposed to be
done with a second rope for fall protection.

But I have a garbage can with 900 feet of 1/2 inch rope and it’s prohibitively
heavy.  No tower climber is going to want to pull that up the tower as he
climbs.  You will have to start with a lighter rope and use a capstan to pull
up the heavy rope.  You don’t appreciate just how heavy a 1/2 inch rope is
until you try using one.  Mark mentions 5/8, I don’t like to even think about
that.

But yes, 3/8 inch is the sweet spot.

I have now told you more than I know about ropes, so take with a grain of salt.