I heard a rumor that an updated SR71 was working its way through the the skunk works.

On 11/18/2020 12:38 PM, Ken Hohhof wrote:

Actually I meant a totally new design for the high efficiency market.  100% ground up new design.

I don’t know that much about commercial aircraft, but I don’t think the 777 was a rehash of anything, it was a new design, and well received.

But on the other hand, the military is really good at putting bandaids on old planes.  Good lord, look at the B52.  I wish the SR71 Blackbird was still flying.  Yeah, strap some more efficient engines on that.

From: AF <af-boun...@af.afmug.com> On Behalf Of Bill Prince
Sent: Wednesday, November 18, 2020 2:03 PM
To: af@af.afmug.com
Subject: Re: [AFMUG] OT Covid is over

Yeah. I looked at what they had to do to the 737 to get the more efficient engines strapped on. The big issue was (at least) that the larger diameter required that they be forward-mounted further in order to get them to clear the ground. Might have been simpler to re-design the landing gear to provide more ground clearance, but what do I know?