Apparently I am not the only person tired of headlines that say someone “slams”
another, and other pro wrestling terms.  (or maybe reminiscent of the old
Batman TV show)

Wikipedia:A headline is not a reliable source - Wikipedia
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:A_headline_is_not_a_reliable_source>

Article says there are headline writers separate from the authors, and they
write in their own language, headlinese, and use sensationalistic words to
generate clicks and search engine listings.

Does Variety exist anymore?  It was famous for super abbreviated headlines.

Sticks Nix Hick Pix - Wikipedia
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sticks_Nix_Hick_Pix>