I heard an admittedly right wing commenter describe it this way..

You rarely use a gendered pronoun when talking to someone.    You use their
name or "you".    You only use the gendered pronouns when they aren't
around.

So people asking you to use their preferred pronoun are asking you to
change the way you refer to them when they aren't even around.

Now, there are some people who I've met that use the "they" pronoun and I
will say that neither of the gendered pronouns really apply to them and
"they" is much more appropriate.

It's the people who are obviously a specific gender and dress and behave
like that gender that demand you refer to them using the opposite pronouns
that drive me nuts.