From: "Nate Burke" <n...@blastcomm.com>
To: "Animal Farm" <af@af.afmug.com>
Sent: Tuesday, November 15, 2022 2:08:51 PM
Subject: [AFMUG] Protecting Upstream Connections

Ran into a problem today where one of my upstreams (windstream) was
still advertising my IP blocks out to the internet, but wasn't routing
all the traffic to me. I was still taking in traffic, but, for example,
Google couldn't get to me on IP Blocks advertized via windstream. Took
a while to track down what was happening and then manually turn off the
Windstream BGP neighbor, which luckily fixed the problem once the subnet
advertisements finally timed out and traffic shifted to other providers,
which took a good 5-10 minutes.

Is there a way to protect against that? My BGP Session to Windstream
was still up and running, but something broke farther up in the
Windstream network. Is the only method in that scenario to Just monitor
and react?