Larry,

Are you sure the electric coop has "their" ROW?  It should be the
municipality/county/state/railroad's easement that you get right of row
to.  I would not depend on the coop being nice

 You really have to either a) go for it and ask forgiveness later or b)
CLEC and just steamroll your way through.  I'd suggest CLEC just as Jim did
- find a decent lawyer that can file that for you.  Providing the state
some may be able to offer a suggestion.