I've been tapping on the windows button and typing what I've been looking
for for years.   Don't even know where lots of things are in the start menu
anymore.

Under windows 10, I did have most of my often used programs pinned to the
start menu, so for those I'd click on start and them the program.

In windows 11, I've started using flow launcher which is a highly
customizable windows search and launcher replacement.  Hit the hotkey for
it,  type what you want,  and select.   It also has various plug-ins to be
able to manipulate media players,  so simple math and so on.   For the
reason below,  this is primarily how I'm launching windows apps today as
well.

I'm still searching for a couple click application launcher which works for
me.  I'd like to do something like windows 10 did, but unfortunately some
of the design choices made in windows 11 prevents the start menu from being
useful for this as well.