Forrest posted this to the NANOG mailing list. It was pretty good, so I copied
it here.

---

I've responded in bits and pieces to this thread and haven't done an excellent
job expressing my overall opinion. This is probably because my initial goal was
to point out that GPS-transmitted time is no less subject to being attacked
than your garden variety NTP-transmitted time. Since this thread has evolved,
I'd like to describe my overall position to be a bit clearer.

To start, we need a somewhat simplified version of how UTC is created so I can
refer to it later:

Across the globe, approximately 85 research and standards institutions run a
set of freestanding atomic clocks that contribute to UTC. The number of atomic
clocks across all these institutions totals around 450. Each institution also
produces a version of UTC based on its own set of atomic clocks. In the
international timekeeping world, this is designated as UTC(Laboratory), where
Laboratory is replaced with the abbreviation for the lab producing that version
of UTC. So UTC(NIST) is the version that NIST produces at Boulder, Colorado,
NICT produces UTC(NICT) in Tokyo, and so on.

Because no clock is perfectly accurate, all of these versions of UTC drift in
relation to each other, and you could have significant differences in time
between different labs. As a result, there has to be a way to synchronize them.
Each month, the standards organization BIPM collects relative time measurements
and other statistics from each institution described above. This data is then
used to determine the actual value of UTC. BIPM then produces a report
detailing each organization's difference from the correct representation of
UTC. Each institution uses this data to adjust its UTC representation, and the
cycle repeats the next month. In this way, all of the representations of UTC
end up being pretty close to each other. The document BIPM produces is titled
"Circular T." The most recent version indicates that most of the significant
standards institutions maintain a UTC version that differs by less than 10ns
from the official version of UTC.

Note that 10ns is far more accurate than we need for NTP, so most of the UTC
representations can be considered identical as far as this discussion goes.
Still, it is essential to realize that UTC(NIST) is generated separately from
UTC(USNO) or other UTC implementations. For example, a UTC(NIST) failure should
not cause UTC(USNO) to fail as they utilize separate hardware and systems.

Each of these versions of UTC is also disseminated in various ways. UTC(NIST)
goes out via the "WWV" radio stations, NTP, and other esoteric methods. GPS
primarily distributes UTC(USNO), which is also available directly via NTP.
UTC(SU) is the timescale for GLONASS. And so on.

So, back to NTP and the accuracy required:

Most end users (people running everyday web applications or streaming video or
similar) don't need precisely synchronized time. The most sensitive application
I'm aware of in this space is likely TOTP, which often needs time on the server
and time on the client (or hardware key) within 90 seconds of each other. In
addition, having NTP time fail usually isn't the end of the world for these
users. The best way to synchronize their computers (including desktop and
server systems) to UTC is to point their computer time synchronization service
(whatever that is) at pool.ntp.org, time.windows.com, their ISP's time server,
or similar. Or, with modern OS'es, you can leave the time configured to
whatever server the OS manufacturer preconfigured. As an aside, one should note
that historically windows ticked at 15ms or so, so trying to synchronize most
windows closer than 15ms was futile.

On the other hand, large ISPs or other service providers (including content
providers) see real benefits to having systems synchronized to fractions of
seconds of UTC. Comparing logs and traces becomes much easier when you know
that something logged at 10:02:23.1 on one device came before something logged
at 10:02:23.5 on another. Various server-to-server protocols and software
implementations need time to be synchronized to sub-second intervals since they
rely on timestamps to determine the latest copy of data, and so on. In
addition, as an ISP, you'll often provide time services to downstream customers
who demand more accuracy and reliability than is strictly necessary.

As a result, one wants to ensure that all time servers are synchronized within
some reasonable standard of accuracy. Within 100ms is acceptable for most
applications but a goal of under 50ms is better. If you have local GPS
receivers, times down to around 1ms is achievable with careful design. Beyond
that, you're chasing unnecessary accuracy. Note that loss of precision is
somewhat cumulative here - running a time server synchronized to within 100ms
will ensure that no client can be synchronized to better than within 100ms from
that server. Generally, you'll want your time server to be synchronized much
better than needed to avoid the time server being the limiting factor.

In a perfect world with no bad actors and where all links ran perfectly, one
could set up an NTP server that pulled from pool.ntp.org or used GPS and
essentially acted as a proxy. Unfortunately, we don't live in this world. So
one has to ask how you build a system that meets at least the following goals:

* Synchronized to UTC within 50ms, with lower being better.
* Not subject to a reasonable set of attacks (typical DoS attacks, RF signal
attacks, spoofing, etc).
* Able to be run by typical network operations staff

In addition, an ideal server setup would be made up of redundant servers in
case one piece of hardware fails. I will ignore this part, as it's usually just
setting up multiple copies of the same thing.

The two most straightforward options are using a GPS-based NTP appliance or
installing an NTP server and pointing it at pool.ntp.org. Under normal
circumstances, both options will be synchronized to UTC with enough accuracy
for most applications, and both are easy to run by typical network operations
staff. This assumes reasonably consistent network latency in the NTP case and a
good sky view in the GPS case. The GPS-based appliance is, however, subject to
spoofing or jamming, as I've discussed earlier. The NTP server is at the mercy
of the quality of the servers it picked from pool.ntp.org and is also subject
to various outside attacks (spoofing, etc.). One must decide how critical time
is to them before deciding whether this option is valid.

The other end of the scale is the "develop your own offline version of UTC
using atomic clocks" methodology. This fixes the attack issue but introduces
several others. The main one is that you are now relying on the clock's
accuracy. Admittedly rubidium and especially cesium clocks tend to be
sufficiently reliable and stable. However, one has to ensure the frequency is
accurate initially and stays that way. You must also wire the clock to an NTP
Server and calibrate the initial UTC offset. If the clock goes haywire or is
less accurate than is required, your in-house version of UTC will drift in
relation to real UTC. This means you may need 2 or 3 or more atomic clocks to
be sufficiently reliable. You'll then need to regularly take an average,
compare it to UTC, and adjust if it's drifted too much. This quickly becomes
more of a science project than something you want network operations staff to
deal with on an ongoing basis. To be clear: If you need robust time not subject
to outside forces and have or can obtain the skill set to pull this off
internally, I won't argue that this is a bad option. However, I feel this isn't
the type of service most providers want to run internally.

So, looking at some middle-ground options that trade a bit of robustness for
ease of use is reasonable.

My lowest cost preference has always been to use a set of in-house NTP servers
pointed at a carefully curated collection of NTP servers. Your curation
strategy should depend on network connectivity, the reliability of the time
sources, etc. In North America, picking one or two NIST servers from each NIST
location is a good starting point. That is one or two from each of Maryland,
Fort Collins, Boulder, and the University of Colorado. One may want to add some
servers from other timekeeping organizations (such as USNO). Note that there is
one commonality: These time servers are run by organizations listed in circular
T as contributing to UTC, and the servers are tied to the atomic clocks. That
way, we ensure that the servers are not subject to inaccuracies caused by time
transfer from an authoritative source for UTC. What is left is any potential
attack on the time transfer over NTP itself. I would argue that with a curated
list of enough NTP servers, this risk can be pushed down to where it is low
enough for many use cases. A lot will depend on the quantity and quality of NTP
servers you select and the robustness of the network path to those servers. If
the packets between your NTP server and the NTP servers you choose traverse a
relatively secure and short path with plenty of bandwidth, and the paths to
differing NTP servers are diverse, many attacks will become harder to
implement. In addition, the more NTP servers you add, the more likely it is
that NTP will be able to correctly pick the servers providing the correct time,
even if an attacker is successfully spoofing one or more sources. In some cases
it may make sense to add additional servers which are run by third parties if
it gains additional robustness based on network architecture. This is
especially true if you're closely connected network-wise with the third party
and they run a good quality NTP service as well.

As I've mentioned, a good middle-of-the-road solution is adding various sources
of time derived via GPS. Note I said, "to add." Start with the carefully
curated NTP server set, then install one or more GPS-based NTP Servers polled
by your NTP server. Adding these GPS time sources to your NTP servers does
three things: First, it provides another source of time NTP can use to
determine the correct time. Second, we're now using a different time
transmission method with different vulnerabilities. And finally, it will
significantly improve the accuracy of the time the NTP server produces as NTPd
will generally prefer it to do the final trimming to UTC. The strength of the
combination of both terrestrial transmitted time via NTP and the precision of
rf-transmitted GPS time ensures that time is both correct and precise. There
are still attack vectors here, but as you add more time sources, the complexity
of pulling off a successful attack increases. This is especially true if you
can monitor the NTP server for signs of stress, such as time servers that are
not telling the correct time or GPS signals which are inconsistent with the
NTP-derived time. A successful attack would require simultaneous NTP (network)
and GPS (rf) attacks.

Other options or blends of options are also possible. With a reasonably large
network, putting enough GPS receivers into place would significantly reduce the
possibility of a spoofer or jammer taking out your entire GPS infrastructure.
Reducing or eliminating external NTP time sources might be reasonable in that
case. The theory is that attacking GPS receivers at one location is easy. Doing
it at dozens simultaneously is much more difficult. To use an exaggeration to
make a point: If you had 100 different GPS receivers spread across 100 widely
geographically diverse locations, and all of your NTP servers were able to poll
all of them for time, the chances that an attacker would be able to take out or
spoof enough GPS receivers to make a difference would be close to zero. Your
failure point becomes UTC(USNO) and the GPS constellation itself. The same
argument would apply to NTP servers regarding quantity and diversity.

Other options involve adding additional technologies. For example, some
appliances use GPS to discipline (adjust) an internal atomic clock. Once the
atomic clock is locked to UTC, the GPS can fail for extended periods without
affecting NTP output. In addition, some of these will filter updates from the
GPS based on the appliance's internal atomic time. That way, a spoofer would be
ignored, jammers would have to continue for hours or days, and so on. Of
course, these solutions' reliability depends on the implementation quality. If
I had the budget to implement something like this in a network, I'd likely
scatter a few of these around the network and then still use garden variety
NTPd servers which would be pointed at these appliances. I might even consider
buying solutions from multiple vendors to ensure a bug in one implementation
was filtered out and ignored.

I can't cover every option here, but balancing security, cost, operational
complexity, and application needs is the key. Some solutions are cheap and easy
but not robust. Some are highly robust but expensive and not easy. Somewhere in
the middle is probably where most real implementations should lie.

Now, to address a couple of specific items:

1) Additional GPS and commercial time distribution systems will likely improve
reliability. However, only GPS and GALILEO are available for free in the US.
I'm ignoring GLONASS for various legal and political reasons. GALILEO is a
valid option but it lives in the same band as GPS, so jamming GPS will usually
also jam GALILEO. Utilizing GNSS receivers that use the civilian signals in the
newer bands would also help. Some commercial solutions are available that don't
require GNSS, but they're relatively new and not as commonly available as one
would like.

2) For running my own time servers in a service-provider environment, I'd
rather specifically designate the exact NTP server I want to utilize and not
rely on a third party to give me a pool of servers. It's more about ensuring
the server I use is running a trusted server, and if I delegate the server
selection, I lose this ability. On the other hand, where I'm not running a NTP
server that is critical for many clients, I'll just point it at pool.ntp.org,
or north-america.pool.ntp.org and skip all of the recommendations that I've
made above. I would be cautious about requesting pool.ntp.org add entries for
"stratum of server" or "origin of time" as this seems like it would tend to
overload the stratum one servers in the pool with people "optimizing" their
configuration to use only stratum one servers. Remember that pool.ntp.org is
generally intended as an end-user-device service, and providing methods that
end users can bypass the robustness that a fully distributed pool will provide
is probably not a great idea.

3) This all should hopefully sort itself out over the next few years. GPS and
GALILEO are flying new birds that have changes designed to improve attack
resilience by using cryptography to ensure authentic transmissions (which may
rely on ground transmission of cryptographic keys). NTP already supports manual
cryptographic keys that work, but NTS is a pain in the rear. Hopefully, NTPv5
will have a better security mechanism. Other, more secure, time sources are on
the horizon as the cybersecurity crowd is aware of the issues.

And finally, as a sort of a tl;dr; Summary: Each operator needs to decide how
critical time is to their network and pick a solution that works for them and
fits the organization's budget. Some operators might point everything at
pool.ntp.org and not run their own servers. Others might run their own time lab
and use that time to provide NTP time and precision time and frequency via
various methods. Most will be somewhere in between. But regardless of which you
choose, please be aware that GPS isn't 100% secure, and neither is NTP. If
attack resilience matters to you, you should think about all of the attack
vectors and design something that is robust enough to meet your use case.
---

-----
Mike Hammett
Intelligent Computing Solutions