From: "Trey Scarborough" <t...@3dsc.co>
To: af@af.afmug.com
Sent: Thursday, January 25, 2024 5:00:58 PM
Subject: Re: [AFMUG] optical TX power levels

Ive done a lot of these 100G 80k links and its not likely dispersion causing
your problem. Its more likely the opposite. If you have segments of NZ fiber
"Non-zero dispersion-shifted fiber" you can have issues. After looking at your
OTDR it looks to be a mix of different fiber types thats how you get the
negative loss splices. If it is a mix of NZ and smf28 fiber your probably not
going to be able to get it to work. The NZ fiber causes issues with the
1200-1300 signals on those optics. I have had spans of 50k that 80k optics
would not work on due to this. I would have them run an OTDR at 1310 and see
what it shows you are likely to get a very different looking result. If that's
the case there aren't too many good options. Your best is if your switch has
400g ports get some OpenZR 400G optics and use them. Surprisingly that aren't
incredibly more expensive than the 100G 80ks.

I would have the fiber provider give you a 1310 OTDR and also request fiber
type information for the span. We build these things all the time so if you
need some help feel free to email me and I can see about finding a solution
that will work for you.