From: Af [mailto:af-boun...@afmug.com] On Behalf Of Bill Prince via Af
Sent: Thursday, October 30, 2014 8:59 PM
To: Motorola III
Subject: [AFMUG] outlook becomes "intermittent" in satellite office

This is a bizarre set of symptoms, and I really don't know what is going on.
So I will articulate the facts, and maybe one of you can tell me what might
be wrong.

We have a business subscriber that occupies several buildings.  The
buildings are separated by enough distance that we have to interconnect by
means other than vanilla ethernet.

Our service is delivered to their main office.  Our SM is installed there
(PMP450), plus a Mikrotik router on ROS 5.26.  The Mikrotik manages 4 VLANs;
1 business VLAN, which is bridged to the main subnet in the main office.
The other 3 VLANs are guest VLANs; each on their own
(private) subnet.

All the computers, etc. work fine in the main office.

The main office is connected to the "guest building" with a VDSL modem (~~
800' phone line between buildings).  Not much occurs in the guest building;
it has a couple of WiFi APs for the guests.

In the guest building, we've installed an RB260GS switch.  It divides the
various ports out to 4 different VLANs.  A couple ports are the "business
VLAN", plus 3 different "guest VLANs".  The SFP port on the RB260GS is used
to connect to the "satellite office" another couple hundred yards beyond the
guest building.  The SFP port is on the business VLAN.

At the satellite office, they have 2 computers.  Everything on the 2
computers in the satellite office seems to work just fine.  Web browsing,
streaming youtube, etc.

However, when they run Outlook, "some" email doesn't go to the destination.
As far as we can tell, it gets to their off-site SMTP server (Globat), but
some of it doesn't ever reach its destination. If they use their web-based
email, the email works every time. Also, the POP part of the email works
just like you'd expect.

Today, we moved one of the computers back to the main office, and surprise,
surprise, Outlook starts working just like it's supposed to.

We've run extended ping tests between the satellite office and the main
office, and there is no break in the link.  It seems solid.  So where/how is
the SMTP part of email breaking?

What tests can I run to figure this out?

--
bp