I have a Unifi 802.11ac dual band AP in my house. I had the same SSID (Toobs) for both 2.4 and 5 GHz. Not a single device used 5 GHz.
I've seen changed the SSID of 5 GHz (Toobs 5ghz) and I now know that my Xbox one and cell phone will connect to it. It also works better than 2.4 (noise thing I'm sure). It seems to be there's a lack of a solution to push things off 2.4 onto 5. I've heard that Ruckus has some trickery to this that may help. Josh Luthman Office: 937-552-2340 Direct: 937-552-2343 1100 Wayne St Suite 1337 Troy, OH 45373 On Fri, Nov 21, 2014 at 2:43 PM, Rory Conaway via Af <[email protected]> wrote: > That’s our policy also. Then we get to manage them. Need a dual band > AirGateway next that’s less than $100. We are seeing about 40Mbps through > the AirGateways which is more than most people need but I’m ready for a > 5GHz version. > > > > *From:* Af [mailto:[email protected]] *On Behalf Of *That One Guy via > Af > *Sent:* Friday, November 21, 2014 10:16 AM > *To:* [email protected] > *Subject:* Re: [AFMUG] Network Monitoring in the 2010's > > > > yeah, air routers are so cheap to give the customer its not worth not doing > > > > On Fri, Nov 21, 2014 at 11:12 AM, Travis Johnson via Af <[email protected]> > wrote: > > Hi, > > This is why we just included a "free" WiFi router with all of our > installations. It wasn't a separate item on their bill, it was just part of > our service. Then we had control of the router, and could actually test > clear to the router from our NOC. The customers liked it because they > didn't have to worry about the router, and when it failed we just replaced > it, no charge. > > Again... customer service is what wins the day. :) > > Travis > > > > On 11/21/2014 9:00 AM, Ken Hohhof via Af wrote: > > I really question if customers want a device to help them troubleshoot. > More like if we (a bunch of network admins) were the customer, that’s what > we’d want. It’s like the guys on Big Bang Theory trying to imagine what a > regular person would want. > > > > The hurdle seems to be getting them to pay someone to fix problems in > their internal network. If you can monetize this by selling an onsite > support plan, or by dispatching from a separate side of your business that > charges for service calls, that is good, as long as you can say this is not > an Internet service problem, it is a customer network problem. Otherwise, > refer them to a local computer shop that does house calls. > > > > What amazes me is the reluctance to pay us $5/mo for a managed Mikrotik > router that comes with free replacement, phone support and onsite support. > All of a sudden it’s not so interesting to have us solve the problem for > them. Yet they will go to Best Buy and let the kid talk them into a $200 > Linksys AC router as the solution to all their problems. I guess that > points back to me being a poor salesman compared to the kid at Best Buy. > Probably because I know the managed router is a good deal for the customer, > so if they don’t want it, I’m only going to push it so hard. While Best > Buy makes tons more money on a $200 router than they do on a $50 router and > doesn’t give a rat’s ass what’s good for the customer, so they sell the > hell out of the expensive router. And people like going to stores and > buying cool gadgets. Maybe I need to rub some “new car smell” on the > Mikrotik routers or something. > > > > So I guess if your proposed gizmo has a “new car smell” or “latest iPhone” > aura to it, people might buy it. Just make sure that red light doesn’t > have false detects, or it will just make people complain their Internet is > down because the red light is on. > > > > > > *From:* David via Af <[email protected]> > > *Sent:* Friday, November 21, 2014 9:27 AM > > *To:* [email protected] > > *Subject:* Re: [AFMUG] Network Monitoring in the 2010's > > > > Yeah we put a little thought into ours on that behalf. > The customer will have to go to the trouble of signing up for these alerts > and it will only show alerts associated with their tower or CPE. > Even any scheduled work being done on that site. > Alerts for outages on their connection only is all that will be displayed. > We are not doing this for anyone on our FSK network only the 450 net. > We already have the Portal for billing. > > On 11/20/2014 11:47 AM, Josh Luthman via Af wrote: > > *An app for my phone? Yuck > > *Something that pushes to cutomers letting them know we're having issues? > Yuck > > *Something that let's the customer verify their particular service is > good/not? That'd be great! > > *Web portal for billing, easy peasy > > > > Why a node fails probably won't be detectable by a machine - in some cases > it's difficult for a person to narrow it down (radio, connectors, cables, > ethernet, surge, etc) but I'd like to see ideas on this of course. > > > > I use/suggest an outgoing message. IF the customer is having issues and > they do call us, they hear we're having issues and hang up. This means > that we're not telling 100 people there are issues when 25 are effecting > ending up with 75 calls next month saying we owe them a credit when they > had nothing to do with an outage. > > > > > > Josh Luthman > Office: 937-552-2340 > Direct: 937-552-2343 > 1100 Wayne St > Suite 1337 > Troy, OH 45373 > > > > On Thu, Nov 20, 2014 at 12:43 PM, Sterling Jacobson via Af <[email protected]> > wrote: > > What I really want is an integrated system that isn't stuck in the 90's. > > I want the customer to have an app on their phone that tells them when > their network is having issues and why. > I want it to also remind them to pay their bill and provide a lazy/easy > way to do that. > > I want that same system to have an engineer app that tells us when nodes > fail and why. > > So if a node goes down and it's important, it should show up on my phone > and I can take action. > One of those actions would be to message to outage impacted customers the > ETA to fix etc. > > Emails from Cacti don't count. > > > > > > > > > > > > -- > > All parts should go together without forcing. You must remember that the > parts you are reassembling were disassembled by you. Therefore, if you > can't get them together again, there must be a reason. By all means, do not > use a hammer. -- IBM maintenance manual, 1925 >
