The news I am reading now is saying it will take 5 years for the prices to come back up... :)

Travis

On 1/14/2015 4:30 AM, Forrest Christian (List Account) wrote:
There's an old, insightful joke about "what is the best price to sell barrels of oil for", which states that it's something like "$100, $100, $100, $100, $20, $20, $100, $100, $100....."

At $100 everyone is eager to turn up production and do things like hydraulic fracturing. At $20, there's a lot of hurt in those same industries. There is a lot of political and economic force in the ability to effectively increase and decrease the rarity of a commodity, and as a side effect, it's price, with a turn of a valve. With additional US sources coming online, and OPEC deciding not to cut production, there's now a glut in the market. The question is ... at what level is this sustainable stateside? I haven't seen a good analysis of the impact of these lower crude prices on domestic production and more importantly our willingness to invest in growth of our production capabilities.

Personally, I have mixed feelings. I like the price of gas when I get to the pump, but I also sell into the oil industry, which I sure hope continues to drill wells, since it's very good for my bottom line.

-forrest