I also mastic then tape the SMA connectors.  I bought a network that had
been running for 8 years though with none of them sealed and they all
worked fine.  I still sealed them.  I like that the rubber boot keeps the
mastic off of the threads and nut.  It makes for a cleaner removal when you
cut it off.  I still don't trust it enough to not seal it.  The only
connectors I trust unsealed are the ones inside of those KP performance
boxes on the back of the sector antennas.  Those boxes are watertight.