The reasons for amateur radio:
-learning and teaching about radio communications and technology
-advancing society by bringing communications to places where it is
difficult to do so
-creating alternative networks easily available in emergency situations
-communicating across the world

The last reason is not so important now that telephone communications and
the internet have made international contact inexpensive and effortless.
But the first three are still valid, and why ham voice/low-speed-data
networks are still in use today. Our project (and similar ones like
HamWAN.org - amusingly their lead used to live in Winnipeg too, and when he
did, him and I ran a test site together for a citywide wifi project) aims
to continue that with IP communications.