The choice between 24 and 48 was likely more a component cost issue.   The
higher voltage components on the POE are more expensive than lower voltage /
higher current.   The original power supplies for Canopy were linear supplies.
Less of an issue now that the components for switching power supplies have
dropped in price so much that linear supplies are more expensive that switchers.

Mark