I correlate the NAT security to a daughters bedroom.
Most fathers dont have an exterior door on their daughters bedroom
You dont just walk directly in, sure somebody can put a ladder to her
window (port forward) but by defaul there is a slight measure of security
because you have to come in the house door and traverse your way to her
bedroom
Now, its always best to have a firewall (you put the daughters bedroom at
the end of the hall past dads room)
Then to be super secure, you put in a Smith and Wesson IDS